Monday, February 16, 2015

British Literature Class Notes -- Week 5 (February 12)

Greetings!

I had another great week with all of my CHAT classes.  I'm so blessed by their hard work and vibrant personalities.

We finished our second classic of British literature, the Shakespeare play Much Ado about Nothing.  We had a delightfully insightful discussion of the quality of love, hidden identities, shallow personalities, and comic relief.  The conversation was lively; there's rarely one of those long awkward pauses in which no one wants to say anything.

We are now ready to tackle the longest and most challenging of our books:  Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.  I've read most of Dickens's novels, and this one is my favorite.  However, it is not quick or easy reading.  Whereas students could quickly read through the other books the day before class, they will need to pace themselves in order to get through the 90+ pages a week.  

I gave them a variety of handouts this week.  Dickens was considered a Victorian author, so I've given them some background information on literature from this time period.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Read Great Expectations (p. 1 - 96)
-- 3 Discussion Questions

This week's links:
Class Notes

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment