Wednesday, April 25, 2012

British Literature Class Notes -- April 24

Greetings!

We had a good class this week.  The students convinced me that it would be a good idea to have class outside.  I conceded, but only after we discussed their written essays and some pointers on writing.  Some of the students in the class have also taken another of my writing classes and have heard my explanations on some of these grammar points.  When I wrote "There is/are" on the board and asked why they should avoid sentences with this structure, one student responded "because you don't like it!"

The students had written good reports on the novels they've read.  I've kept them so that I could write more comments and grades.

We've begun reading George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion.  We took our chairs outside and sat in the sun for our discussion.  We looked at the themes of class structures, science, relationships, and male/female dynamics.  We read portions of the play aloud.  The British accent, especially the Cockney one, is challenging to read.  When we've finished reading, I hope the students will watch My Fair Lady.  It's pretty close to the original.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Finish reading Pygmalion.

Have a wonderful week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment