Thursday, April 19, 2012

British Literature Class Notes -- April 17

Greetings!

We had a wonderful class this week.  The students have all finished their independent reading choices and we had the last of the presentations this week.  Some of the students chose to write their analysis, but I had them give a short synopsis and answer some questions.  I felt that this gave all of us a little taste of the separate books. 

Stephen spoke well of one of my favorites, The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.  This is perhaps one of the first detective stories.  Danielle shared about the plot, characters and themes in Jane Eyre.  Finally, we heard about a book that I had also just finished reading, Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey.  Caitlyn gave us an outline of the plot and character descriptions. 

Our next reading assignment is Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw.  I briefly introduced this play and the Greek myth of Pygmalion.  I handed some critical thinking questions which I want them to be ready to answer.

Assignment for Next Week:
-- Read introductory material and Acts I & 2 of Pygmalion.
-- Be ready to discuss 4 of the questions from the handout.

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment