Friday, April 14, 2017

British Literature Class Notes -- Week 11 (April 13)

Greetings!

STUDENTS AT WORK
We had a great week in class; in fact, this might have been one of my favorite classes of all time.  We were reading Victorian poetry this week, focusing on three poems:  "The Lady of Shalott" by Alfred Tennyson, "My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning, and "Pied Beauty" by Gerard Manly Hopkins.










Before discussing "The Lady of Shalott,"  I paired the students and asked them to illustrate their assigned section on the board.  They did a marvelous job!  When poetry is also a story, it helps to draw what we're reading.  After we have a good understanding of the story, we can read for more of the aesthetic qualities of the poetry.

Our next reading selection is a delightful play by George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion.  As a kid, one of my favorite musicals was My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.  As a play, the students should visualize this as a performance while they are reading.

Assignments for Next Week
-- Read introductory material for Pygmalion
-- Read Acts I, II, and III of Pygmalion


Links for this week
-- Class Notes

Have a blessed Resurrection Sunday!
Mrs. Prichard


PART I


PART II



PART III


PART IV


No comments:

Post a Comment