Saturday, April 16, 2016

British Literature Class Notes -- Week 11 (April 14)

Greetings!

I don't know if you are like me, but this time of year, when it seems that Spring might really be here and that we are done for good with winter for a while, I get a little cynical.  Sure, on this beautiful Saturday afternoon it's almost 80, but I'm not putting away the hats and mittens quite yet.  That being said, I'm soaking up as much sun and fresh air as I can.  Hope you are also having a great weekend!

We had a great class this week.  I know that I say that every week, but I really enjoy the students and the content for this class.  These past two weeks may have felt challenging as we dove into some Romantic and Victorian Poetry.  These are not the simple poems that we had in Writing 1 or Writing 2.  Some of these poems are pages long; there were longer ones that I didn't include.

This week we "unpacked" the following poems:  "The Lady of Shallott" by Tennyson, "My Last Duchess" by Browning, and two of Hopkins's poems, "God's Grandeur" and "Pied Beauty."  We talked about art, imagination, representation, inspiration, love, God's beauty, imperfections, etc. -- all common themes in poetry.

I've given to the students their next books, Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw.  This is a play from which the musical My Fair Lady is taken.  Students are to read Acts I, II, and III and write 3 Discussion Questions.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Read Acts I, II, and III of Pygmalian
-- Write 3 Discussion Questions for the first half of the book.

Links for This Week:
Class Notes

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment