Tuesday, March 18, 2014

British Literature Class Notes -- Week 9 (March 13)

Greetings!

I hope you're enjoying your "Spring Break."  With a winter storm in the forecast, it doesn't seem very Spring-like.  My apologies for the lateness of these Class Notes.  An educational conference this weekend messed with my schedule, and I'm a bit behind on my "to do" list.

Last week was our last opportunity to discuss Great Expectations, and I was so impressed with the insights and comments from this group of students.  I especially appreciated the various discussion questions that they brought to class.  "Unpacking" a good piece of literature is one of my favorite activities, and it was a pleasure doing it with students who were willing to think hard and to explore the themes and characters of this Dickens classic.  

Our next British literature adventure includes poetry from the Romantic period.  Most high school students might not pick up the works of Wordsworth, Coleridge, Shelley, or Keats and read them for "fun." I'm hoping that as we dig into the poems by these men they will appreciate the artistry of the poet and possibly, even, enjoy them.  As I mentioned in class, they should read all of the poems, but we will, in this order, discuss the following pieces:
"Ode on a Grecian Urn"  (Keats)
"The AEolian Harp" (Coleridge)
"Hymn to Intellectual Beauty" (Shelley)
"Tintern Abbey"  (Wordsworth)


Following our foray into Romantic period poetry, we will be reading Victorian poetry.  We're nearing the end of the term and our final two pieces of literature are fairly short:  Pygmalion and 39 Steps.

Assignments for Next Class (3/27):
-- Read the poetry
-- Answer the questions on the study guide for these poems.

This week's links:


Have a great break!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment