Friday, April 12, 2013

British Literature Class Notes -- April 3 (Week 10)

Greetings!

Rumor has it that it's snowed in Minnesota.  I"m spending a long weekend in Florida where it's sunny, and the beach is wonderful. Hopefully the snow will be short-lived and we, too, will have some warmth and sunshine.  Because I'm on a "vacation," my Class Notes will be brief.

For this week, the students read some Romantic poetry.  I know that none of them loved the poetry; since I had taken a semester-long class on this subject, I could have given them A LOT more poetry from this time period.  However, they did a wonderful job as we worked through Blakes "The Chimney Sweeper" poems, Byron's "She Walks in Beauty," and finally Keats's "Ode on a Grecian Urn."  We spent most of our time on this last one.  I poem brings up many existential, metaphysical, and philosophical ideas.  My head was spinning along with theirs by the time we finished.  I must say, however, that I thoroughly enjoyed thinking these "big thoughts" with this wonderful group of students.

Next week:  Victorian Poetry!

I hope I didn't forget anything.  I'll enjoy the sunshine and ocean here in Florida while you do your best to enjoy your snow!


Blessings,
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment