Friday, February 10, 2012

British Literature Class Notes -- February 7

Greetings!

When you combine a busy schedule with being under the weather, sometimes you don't get things done as soon as you'd like.  I aim to get the Class Notes done ASAP after the class.  I hope the fact that they are a little later doesn't mess up anyone's schedule.

We finished our discussion about Much Ado About Nothing this week.  We discussed some of the dynamics of the plot and read aloud the last scene of the play.  We also walked through some sample essay questions that might be found on an exam.  My kids had given me the Kenneth Brannagh movie version of the play.  We watched a few of the scenes.  In his plays, Shakespeare give little in the way of stage directions.  Actors and actresses get their cues for their portrayal of their characters through the text.  We enjoyed the way these characters interpreted the parts, from their facial expressions to the smallest movements.

I'm afraid I made a mistake with the syllabus.  I've been so excited about reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens as a class, that I "jumped the gun" a little bit.  Therefore, instead of reading Romantic, Mystic, and Victorian poets, we'll start right into the Dickens novel.  I gave to the students an introductory set of worksheets to read for the book.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Read the handout about Dickens
-- Read Chapters 1 - 15 of Great Expectations

Have a great weekend!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment