Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Class Notes -- January 17

Greetings!

We're beginning a new year and a new class.  I've been looking forward to this class and anticipate some great discussions with the students.

I handed out the syllabus for the class.  I've ordered 4 books for us to read together:  Everyman (anon), Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare), Great Expectations (Dickens), and Pygmalion (Shaw).  We're reading these books in chronological order, and I will be filling in historical and literary details between the readings.  We'll also read a number of selections from Romantic, Metaphysical, and Victorian poets.  Following the Dickens selection, the students will be choosing their own books from a list of suggested novels.  We'll have panel discussions on these books.

This focus of this class is reading and literary analysis.  I like to use the word "unpacking" when referring to literary discussions.  We'll do some short writing assignments related to elements of literature.  The students will write essay exams following 3 of the selections.

For those of you new to my classes, I send out e-mails after each class.  I also have a Dropbox account where I put any worksheets or handouts.  And, finally, I have a blog for each class.  Because  "British Literature" is such a huge topic, I will be posting background and supplemental information on the blog.

This week we began discussing Everyman, a morality play from the late 1400's, possibly by or based on a play by a Flemish man, Peter van Diest.  We read the first few pages aloud and discussed some of the themes.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions.  I prefer e-mails, but you can call my cell phone if your concern is urgent.  (507/581-0270)

Assignments for Next Week:

-- Read The Second Shepherd's Play
-- Read Everyman
-- Answer Study Questions for each (5 for Everyman and 8 for The Second Shepherd's Play
-- Respond to Dropbox invitation.
-- Read blog entries

This week's blog entries:  Class Notes, Spring Syllabus, Intro do the Middle Ages, Info on Everyman

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment